BEING KIND IS GOOD FOR YOU, GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH, AND FOR THE HEALTH OF EVERYONE AROUND YOU!
It’s easy, it’s free and it feels good.
DEFINITION OF KINDNESS
Mark Twain called kindness ‘the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see’. The poet Wordsworth wrote ‘the best bits of a [wo]man’s life are the simple, random acts of kindness and love’. Kindness is anything nice you do for another that you do purely for its own sake. True kindness has no ulterior motive of gain for yourself – yet at the same time, kindness brings its own rewards.
THE VALUE OF ACTS OF KINDNESS
Kindness creates and fosters human bonds. It makes life worth living, letting us know that we are part of a greater, more meaningful whole. Even in a time of social distancing, it makes you feel connected. Here are some of the wonderful benefits of kindness:
- It enhances self-esteem
- It lowers your blood-pressure
- It sends loads of feel-good hormones, such as dopamine, round your body, giving you a natural ‘high’, so it’s great for your immune system
- When you’re kind to others you’re more able to be kind to yourself, so kindness helps you heal
- It makes the world a safer place
- Being kind can lift depression
- When you’re kind you attract pleasant things because you’re giving out positive energy
- Kindness snowballs – you never know what far-reaching effects your small, kind act may have
- Modern psychology has shown that being altruistic deeply increases happiness
TRY THESE SIMPLE IDEAS
- Every time you smile you are giving a small gift to anyone who sees, and it cheers everyone up. Do this while you’re out walking or exercising – socially distancing does not mean you can’t smile!
- Give something to charity. It’s easy to make a small donation on-line It doesn’t have to break the bank to be kind
- Say something supportive. An encouraging word on Facebook, Instagram or whatever your favourite social media – make a secret commitment to giving out three a day
- Phone a friend whenever you can, and send regular texts
- Send a surprise gift
- Send someone a pretty card with a lovely message, or send an E-card
- Let go of small negatives. If anyone says something unpleasant, let them get on with it. It’s kinder to yourself to move on
- And be kind to yourself! Every day do at least one nice thing for you!